This week I introduced the Host the World Cup project to the first of my three Year 7 classes. Together we watched the FIFA announcement of Russia as 2018 hosts and then watched the England bid video and parts of the Russian presentation. We then talked about what factors FIFA would have to take into consideration when selecting a host nation. Ideas the children came up with included:
- Quality of their International football team and league.
- Have they hosted the World Cup before?
- Number of stadiums
- Ability to cope with large amount of visitors.
- Ability to broadcast games – timezones.
- Political and economic stability
The children then got into little groups to discuss which country they could represent. They researched countries and came up with the following shortlist:
- New Zealand
They gave brief points for each of these countries and then they voted.
The winning nation and the country they are going to represent is…. Argentina.